Slow Cooker Coconut Ginger Chicken & Vegetables
Serves/Yield: 6-8 servings
Serve this creamy and fragrant stew over Jasmine or brown rice. I like to top mine with a few chopped scallions. NOTE: My slow cooker bowl can be used on a burner which can then be transferred to its electric base to cook further, but if you have a different type, then simply prepare the first few steps of this recipe in a heavy bottomed pot or skillet and transfer the ingredients to the slow cooker when the liquids are added.
o 4 cloves garlic, peeled
o 2 inch cube of ginger (about 30 grams), roughly chopped
o 1 small sweet onion, peeled, quartered
o 1 Tablespoon olive oil
o 2 Tablespoons butter
o 2.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into four
o 2 cans coconut milk, not shaken
o 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
o 1 can of baby corn cobs
o 1 cup peas or frozen vegetables of your choice
For the spice blend
o 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
o 1 teaspoon ground cumin
o 1 teaspoon ground coriander
o 1 1/2 teaspoons ground tumeric
o 1 teaspoon salt
1. Combine ingredients from the spice blend together and set aside.
2. In a mini food processor, combine garlic, ginger and onion and pulse until it forms a paste.
3. In the bottom of a slow-cooker placed on a burner (see IMPORTANT note above), heat olive oil and melt butter. Add pureed aromatics and stir well. Cook for a few minutes, then add spice blend. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Move aromatics to one side of the pot and add chicken pieces to the pot. Cook chicken slightly on all sides, using a sturdy wooden spoon to move it around the pot. It should get thoroughly coated with the spice mixture.
5. Open the cans of coconut milk and remove the cream from the top using a soup spoon. You should have about 1 cup. Pour the coconut milk over the chicken and with both cans, it should just barely cover the chicken.
6. Drain the corn cobs and chop in half. Add to the slow-cooker.
7. Place the slow cooker in the base and cook on low for 4 hours.
8. Whisk cornstarch with coconut cream until smooth and add to the chicken. Stir well. Add frozen peas or other vegetables of your choice. Cook for another half an hour or until you deem the chicken cooked and the vegetables hot.