Hot and sweet slaw with jerk spice salmon
Julienne-cut slaw with honey Sriracha dressing topped with crispy Jerk-spiced salmon filet. Paleo and Gluten Free.
3 shallots, root end trimmed
3 cups ice water
4 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons Sriracha hot sauce
4 teaspoons cider vinegar
3 teaspoons olive oil, preferably organic, divided
2 teaspoons flax seed oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
453 grams salmon filet, skin removed and cut into 4 portions
1 ½ teaspoons Jamaican Jerk seasoning
4 cups baby arugula or sunflower sprouts
2 cups finely chopped cabbage, julienne cut sweet salad turnips or daikon
2 cups julienne cut watermelon radish or radish
¼ cup toasted pepitas, toasted
1. Cut scallion into two-inch lengths. Cut lengthwise into very thin strips. Submerge scallion strips in the ice water and set aside.
2. Stir honey and sriracha in a small dish to combine. Take 2 teaspoons of the honey mixture and transfer it to a large mixing bowl. Add vinegar, 2 teaspoons olive oil, flax oil and ½ teaspoon salt and whisk to combine.
3. Sprinkle the remaining ½ teaspoon salt over the salmon. Sprinkle the Jerk seasoning on both sides of the salmon. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large heavy non stick pan over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add salmon, skinned-side up, and cook until crispy and browned on the bottom, 4 to 6 minutes. Flip over, remove non stick pan from the heat and allow to continue cooking with the carry-through heat of the non stick pan.
4. Meanwhile prepare salad: Add cabbage, salad turnips or daikon, radishes and arugula or sunflower sprouts to the large bowl with the dressing and toss to coat. Divide among four plates.
5. To serve top the slaw with the salmon. Drizzle with the reserved honey Sriracha mixture and sprinkle with pepitas. Drain the shallots and top the dishes with the shallots.