Coconut Chicken Soup
• 2 tsp. olive oil
• 1 small sweet onion
• 8 oz sliced white mushrooms
• 1 red bell pepper, cut into short, thin strips
• 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 32 oz. chicken broth
• 14 oz. can coconut milk
• 2 tbsp. red curry paste (green or yellow is fine too)
• 2 tbsp. fish sauce
• 1 zucchini, sliced into ¼” thick half circles
• ½ c. frozen green peas
1. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper. Saute for about 3 minutes, and then push to one side of the pan to make room for the chicken.
2. Place chicken breasts in the hot pan, and cook on each side for about 2 minutes just to cook the outside. Pour in chicken broth and coconut milk, and bring to a low boil.
3. Stir in curry paste, fish sauce. Continue simmering for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
4. Remove chicken breasts to a cutting board, and add zucchini and peas to the pot. Continue cooking while you shred the chicken with two forks. Roughly chop the shredded chicken with a knife so the pieces aren’t too big.
5. Add the chicken back to the pot and simmer just long enough for the zucchini to cook as much as you’d like. (I like mine to stay pretty firm, so I don’t cook it very long.)