Clean Baked Banana Nut Oatmeal Bars
• 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 large bananas measured after mashing)
• 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
• 1/2 cup any milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
• 2 cups quick or old fashioned rolled oats (usecertified gluten free for GF version)
• 1/4 cup flax seed, ground or hemp hearts
• 1 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 5 Medjool dates, pitted & chopped (or 1/3 cup any dried fruit)
• 1/2 cup walnuts or any nuts, chopped
• Cooking spray (I use Misto)
• Chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, line 8 x 8 square baking dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.*
2. In a large mixing bowl add bananas, applesauce, milk and stir to combine. Add oats through salt and mix well to combine. Add dates and walnuts, stir enough to incorporate.
3. Pour into prepared baking dish, level with spatula and top with chocolate chips if desired (I usually sprinkle half for the kids). Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes and cut into 8 bars. Serve hot, warm or cold with yogurt, peanut butter or whatever you like for breakfast.
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 – 4 months.