- 500 g/ 1 lb boneless and skinless chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
For chicken seasoning
- 1¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic or onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry) – this is optional
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder or sweet potato starch powder
For the aroma base
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 tablespoons green onion/scallions, thinly sliced (separate green and white parts)
- 1 teaspoon dry red chilil powder or chilli flakes/pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 4 tablespoons olive or coconut oil (to pan-fry the chicken)
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil (to sauté veggies)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (before serving, optional)
- Prep: Thinly slice chicken and bell peppers, and finely chop/slice all ingredients.
- Marinade: Mix sliced chicken strips with the chicken seasoning ingredients and leave for 15 mins. Make sure all ingredients are seasoned and coated evenly.
- Pan-fry chicken:Heat 4 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil in a large sauté pan or a wok over high heat. When the pan is hot, pan fry the chicken in separate batches. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan. Add more oil if needed. Set aside when they are cooked through and golden brown.
- Hint: The chicken strips might stick to each other. You may need to be constantly flipping and scooping to separate the strips.
- Create aroma base: In the same pan (without the chicken), heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium -high heat. When it’s hot, add the ginger and chilli powder. Quickly stir-fry the ingredients for about 3-5 seconds. Then add the white-colored part of your chopped scallions and season with a small pinch of salt. Keep stir-frying for another 5 seconds. You should smell a great aroma coming from the spices. Be careful not to burn the ingredients.
- Add the veggies:Add sliced green and red bell peppers to the. Season with another pinch of salt and white pepper. Constantly scoop and stir the ingredients for about 10 -15 seconds total.
- Add the chicken: Add chicken back to the wok. Toss all ingredients together for about 10-15 seconds. (Optional: deglaze the wok with 1 tbsp of Chinese rice wine.)
- Serve & enjoy: Serve over a large size plate. Sprinkle with the chopped green part of your scallions, more toasted sesame seeds, and 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil.