CHICKEN, GREEN APPLE SALAD
For the actual salad
• 125g poached chicken, cooled and pulled
• 4 button mushrooms, sliced
• 1 celery rib, sliced
• 1 Granny Smith apple, peel on, diced (keep a few slices to garnish, if desired)
• 25g dried cranberries
• 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
• ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
• 25g toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
• About 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
For the vinaigrette
• 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
• ¼ cup unsweetened all natural apple juice
• 2 tbsp cider vinegar
• 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
• ½ tsp date paste
• ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
• 1 tbsp fresh lemon thyme, chopped
• 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
• 1/8 tsp guar gum
What I used for my poached chicken
• 2 large chicken breasts, deboned and skin removed
• 2 cups water
• 1 small onion, peel on, quartered
• 1 celery rib, cut into 3-4 pieces (try and find one that has a lot of leaves on it)
• 1 carrot, cut into 3-4 pieces
• 3 cloves garlic, peel on, smashed
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 2 tbsp dried thyme
First, you need some poached chicken…
1. Add all the ingredients except chicken to a shallow pan with fitting lid and bring to a boil.
2. Add chicken breasts, bring back to a boil then reduce heat, cover partly and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Flip breasts around and continue cooking for an extra 10-15 minutes, until chicken is cooked all the way through.
3. Use immediately or chill for later use. Oh, and please, do not toss the cooking liquid! Take a few seconds to drain it and you’ll be rewarded with a yummy, super lean and extra tasty chicken stock.
Then, you can make that salad
4. Add all the ingredients of the dressing to your small food processor or blender and process until nice and smooth. Set aside.
5. Add chicken, mushrooms, celery, cranberries, mint and parsley to a medium mixing bowl. Pour vinaigrette overop and mix until well combined.
6. Arrange baby spinach leaves at the bottom of a serving plate. Top with reserved salad, sprinkle chopped pecans and garnish with sliced apples if desired.