Chicken Avocado Soup
serving size: 4 bowls
2 chicken breasts
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups green onions, finely chopped, divided
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tomato, diced
3 – 14.5oz cans chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
2 avocados, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Add chicken to the heated skillet and lower temperature to medium, cover pan and grill chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165° F. Shred chicken and cover with foil to keep warm, then set aside.
2. In a dutch oven or equivalent, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat until hot.
3. Add the 1 cup chopped green onions and minced garlic to pot; Sauté about 2 minutes.
4. Add diced tomato; Sauté 1 minute, until soft.
5. Add chicken broth, cumin, and salt to pot.
6. Stir well and bring to a boil.
7. Cover pot and simmer on low for 15 to 20 minutes.
8. Layering in separate bowls; Fill each bowl with shredded chicken, diced avocado, chopped green onions (from the remaining 1/2 cup), and cilantro. Next, ladle the chicken broth onto the layered chicken in each bowl. Serve each bowl with a lime wedge.