Cauliflower feta meatballs and spicy harissa tomato zucchini noodles recipe
Makes 6 meatballs and 3 bowls of zucchini noodles
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see note below)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2-1/2 tablespoons harissa sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 415 degrees F.
- Place the cauliflower in a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper and toss together to combine. Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway.
- While the cauliflower is baking, place a medium skillet over medium heat and add half of the olive oil. Then, add in the onions. Cook the onions for 3 minutes and then pour out the contents of the skillet into a food processor and set aside. Once cauliflower is done, add it to the food processor along with the onions and pulse until pureed.
- Pour the puree out into a bowl. Add in the breadcrumbs, egg, feta, oregano, parsley and season with salt and pepper. Stir together and form large golf ball-sized meatballs and place in rows on a baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the rest of the olive oil. Add in the garlic, cook for 30 seconds and then add in the tomatoes and harissa sauce. Stir to combine and then add in the cumin, coriander and season with salt and pepper. Stir and let reduce, about 10 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed and the sauce is chunky.
- Place the zucchini noodles in bowls and top each with a scoop of the sauce. Then, place 2 meatballs on top of each bowl and garnish with parsley.