• 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
• 800g (1¾ lbs) beef braising steak
• 12 shallots, peeled
• 10ml (2 tsp) ground allspice
• 250ml (1 cup) red wine
• 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes or 800g (1¾ lbs) fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded
• 300ml (½ pint) beef stock
• 15ml (1 tbsp) honey [optional]
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/fan 130°C/300°F/gas mark 2.
2. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof dish over a high heat. Add a third of the beef and cook for 5 minutes until well browned. Set aside on a plate and repeat to brown the remaining meat.
3. Add the shallots to the pan. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until just starting to colour.
4. Return the beef to the pan and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any caramelized bits of meat from the base of the pan.
5. Cover with a lid and place in the oven. Cook for 3½ hours or until rich and thick. Season to taste.
• Serve with rice of lashings of creamy mash, plus seasonal green vegetables.